corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Letters and Word Counts in P46

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David @ Comcast" <davidinglis2 AT comcast.net>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul@Lists. Ibiblio. Org" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Letters and Word Counts in P46
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 11:04:23 -0800

Listers,

I am trying to get hold of the numbers of lines, words, and letters (or more
accurately, characters) in P46. I have the 'standard' numbers of both
characters and words in modern editions of the Paulines, but this does not
give me what I am looking for. For example, on page 53 of "Paul's Letter
Collection" by David Trobisch he provides the following numbers of
characters:

Titus 3733

These total 19,140. However, in his paper "P46 and the Pastorals: A
Misleading Consensus", Jeremy Duff gives 18,914 as the estimated total for
these epistles in P46, i.e., about 1.2% fewer than modern editions. Because
it is important attempting to re-construct P46 to know how many characters
(and other things) are in each epistle contained in this MS, I wonder if
there is anyone who can supply both word and character counts for all the
Pauline's contained in P46.

Jeremy Duff also calculates the numbers of characters per page within P46,
and while his numbers are very useful, they are averages over groups of 5
pages at a time. If anyone can supply me with both character and line
counts for each individual page within P46 I would most appreciate it.

Finally, I have attempted to get copies of the pages of P46 from both U.Mich
and the Chester Beatty Library, but so far with no success. If anyone has
some contact information through with I could obtain copies I would
appreciate that too.

Dave Inglis
davidinglis2 AT comcast.net
Lafayette, CA, USA