corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's pneumatology

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeff Peterson" <peterson AT austingrad.edu>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's pneumatology
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:55:22 -0800

Ditto on Mark's assessment of Dale Martin on pneuma. The assumption that
spirit is immaterial is common in 20th century Pauline scholarship, although
not
universal, as Dale appears to suggest. I found a few clear examples of
scholars
who recognized that for Paul pneuma meant especially refined "stuff" and
tucked them away in a footnote of my dissertation; I remember that one was in
Austin Farrer's STUDY IN ST MARK.

Jeff Peterson
Austin Graduate School of Theology