corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's pneumatology

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeff Peterson" <peterson AT austingrad.edu>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's pneumatology
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:38:39 -0800

It's not a book devoted to Paul's pneumatology, but Dale Martin's THE
CORINTHIAN BODY includes some very insightful stuff, especially in the
introductory chapter and the one on "The Resurrection Body." His particular
contribution is to distinguish what PNEUMA meant for Paul from Descartes's
immaterial _res cogitans_. (The faint of heart should be aware that Martin is
an
iconoclast and feather-ruffler of the first water; e.g., the book includes
the only
use of the f-word I'm aware of in a work of NT scholarship, on p. 178 if I
recall
correctly; I'm rather glad I noticed this before assigning the work for
purchase to
fundamentalist students! Brought to mind Michael Medved's comment that
you've never heard anybody leave a movie saying, "That would have been a
good film if they'd used the f-word a few more times.")

Jeff Peterson
Austin Graduate School of Theology