corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Paul a follower of Shammai ?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Paul a follower of Shammai ?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:09:27 -0400

> What has been the critical reaction (if any) to N.T. Wright's
> assertions that Paul, because of his zealous persecution of the
> church, was likely a follower of Shammai (i.e., a more radical
> "fundamentalist" brand of pharasaism) instead of the more
> moderate Hillel (and Gamaliel, one assumes)?
>
> (Wright's assertions are in *What Saint Paul Really Said*.)
>
> Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.
>
> Associate Professor, Biblical Studies, Kentucky Christian College

Dear Perry,
At the Association for Jewish Studies Meeting in Los Angelos
last winter Prof. Townsend (I think) gave a very convincing (to me) talk
on just that topic.
Actually, now that I think about it, he was arguing that *Jesus* was a
follower of Shammai not Hillel. He compared a long list of decisions
of Jesus to the disputes in the Talmud and found that on all but a few
Jesus came down on the side of Shammai.
I don't remember the particulars. Maybe you can write him and
get his talk.
Liz Fried

Lisbeth S. Fried
Visiting Scholar