corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] RE: The construction of P46

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Edgar M. Krentz" <ekrentz AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] RE: The construction of P46
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 10:41:25 -0500

I'm going to try one more time. Can anyone answer the questions below? If
not, can anyone let me know where I can get hold of a facsimile of P46 so
that I can take some measurements myself?

It is generally known that the extant portions of P46 all came from a single
quire. However, I haven't seen anything that states whether the leaves were
trimmed or not. To explain: If you take a number of sheets (papyrus,
parchment, paper) and fold them in the middle to form a quire, then the
edges of the inner leaves will protrude past those of the outer leaves. You
can either leave the quire like that, or trim the edges so that they all
align, thus making the inner leaves slightly smaller than the outer ones.
Can anyone tell me whether the leaves of P46 were trimmed like this, and if
so, what is the difference in size from outer to inner (1% smaller, 5%
smaller, ... ?)

Dave Inglis
davidinglis2 AT attbi.com
3538 O'Connor Drive
Lafayette, CA, USA

You can consult two different sources. (1) The Chester Beatty Biblical papyri were published in photographic facsimile back in the 1930s. Every good seminary library should have them, in color, full sized.

(2) The University of Michigan Press in Ann Arbor published THE EVOLUTION OF THE ENGLISH BIBLE: FROM PAPYRI TO KING JAMES in 1997.A CD ROM for both Windows and Macintosh computers. ISBN 0-472-00249X. It contains color photos of all the Papyrus 46 leaves at the papyrus museum at the U of M, includes many of the pages of Paul's letters. I's a spectacular computer resource.

You will probably not be able to answer your question, since the papyrus pages are damagec at their edges to some degree. But you can certainly see what many of them look like.

Ed Krentz

--
Edgar Krentz Professor Emeritus of New Testament Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago