corpus-paul - Re: [corpus-paul] Letter writing in the ancient world

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Runar M. Thorsteinsson" <Runar.Thorsteinsson AT teol.lu.se>
  • To: <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [corpus-paul] Letter writing in the ancient world
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:26:41 +0100

> I am currently looking into the opening sections of each of Paul's letters,
> particularly focussing in on his use of his apostleship in them. As I have
> begun to do this, I have realised how little I know about letter writing
> conventions of the Greco-Roman world (if one can speak of such a thing). I
> have my own copy of Stanley Stowers' helpful book on the subject, but have
> little else. Does anyone have any suggestions of other recent works that I
> could consult that might give me some ideas as to what I should be looking
> out for in Paul's letters? I would also appreciate any bibliography that
> specifically relates Paul's letters to other relatively contemporary ones.

> Regards,
> Fred Rich.

Fred,

Stowers' work is a very useful one, but it neglects (mostly) certain types
of ancient letters, viz. official ones (diplomatic, royal etc.). These types
may indeed be revealing when it comes to Pauline letter openings.

In addition to the works already mentioned on the list you might want to
look at

Hans-Josef Klauck, Die antike Briefliteratur und das Neue Testament (UTB
2022; Paderborn: Schöningh, 1998). This is a fine introduction to the field
of ancient epistolography in relation to the letters of the NT.

I would also recommend Jeffrey T. Reed's work on Philippians in this
respect, viz. A Discourse Analysis of Philippians (JSNTSup 136; Sheffield:
1997), pp. 153-295 (the title does not say it all!).

Best wishes,

Runar M. Thorsteinsson

--
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
Lund University

Runar.Thorsteinsson AT teol.lu.se
www.teol.lu.se