corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Re: Recommendations for undergraduate books on Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Keith Dyer <kdyer AT whitley.unimelb.edu.au>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Recommendations for undergraduate books on Paul
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:13:56 +1100

I continue to be surprised at how many in my intro to Paul class are
negatively disposed towards Paul -- often strongly so. Generally in
the region of 50 per cent of the class admit (in the survey I give) that
they have serious problems with Paul (he's arrogant, a woman-hater,
etc). Often, of course, it is the way Paul has been preached that they're
objecting to.

Consequently, I find Neil Elliott's book, Liberating Paul, to be very
helpful for sharpening the issues regarding the Pauline legacy.
Also I give references to Leander Keck, Paul and HIs Letters
(1988, particularly the chapter "Paul the Problem") and Krister
Stendahl's Paul Among Jews and Gentiles (still!).

Keith Dyer
(Whitley College, Melbourne College of Divinity)

  • [Corpus-Paul] Re: Recommendations for undergraduate books on Paul, Keith Dyer, 12/10/2002