corpus-paul - Re: Zuesse

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Zuesse
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 04:26:58 -0700 (PDT)

Eric Zuesse repplied to Bob MacDonald:

> If you are treating the Bible as a preacher does,
> as an object of devotion,
> rather that as a scientist does, as documentary
> evidence from which to
> reconstruct, as best can be done, a scientific
> history of the matters it
> purports to deal with, then the only objection I
> would have to your practise
> is that I would feel that you are cheating your
> congregation by the cavalier
> way in which you are dealing with truth, and
> unfortunately, congregation-members are naive
> enough to accept uncritically such falsehoods
> they hear preached by their ministers...

> What struck me about Hitler's reading of the Bible
> is how coherent it was,
> and how earnestly he tried to find a way through its
> many contradictions so
> as to produce an understanding that reduced them to
> a minimum...

> Muslims likewise believe that the Quran is
> Truth, and even though
> some Muslims disagree with Osama bin Laden's
> reading of the Quran, I don't
> see their views as being better than Osama's...

I'm afraid that I must second Zeba Crook's appeal to
the moderators. I'm about the last person to advocate
censoring anyone -- but this kind of repeated garbage
is inappropriate and doesn't serve the interests of
the C-P list.

I've always had a thorough distrust of anyone with an
axe to grind. And no axe is ground more passionately
or assiduously than on the subject of religion. I'm
sorry to say that I barely bother reading Mr. Zuesse's
posts anymore; in my eyes, his credibility is about
zero.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com