corpus-paul - Body and Lord

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Body and Lord
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:32:50 -0700

Oh for a new thread, that the stitching might not seem so confused.

Here's one: who has dealt well writing about the body as temple? According
to 1 Corinthians 6:13, the belly is to be destroyed - but the body is for
the Lord and the Lord for the body.

This touch of the dialogue in Paul (whoever he was or whoever he thought
Jesus/John/Lord was) links critical meat-eating/idolatry issues with
fornication/holiness/temple issues. It is a well worked out thought in Paul
and seems to me to be foundational to his character. My question is - what
led him to write this and to think this way?

Related factors: he writes
1. prior to the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem;
2. in the midst of the usual sexually exploitive world that every generation
inhabits;
3. as part of his basic self-knowledge in Christ - Know ye not (15, 16, 19)?

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

Catch the foxes for us,
http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca

  • Body and Lord, Bob MacDonald, 08/18/2002