corpus-paul - Re: Paul: Renegade or Insider?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul: Renegade or Insider?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:23:59 -0700 (PDT)

I just heard from Philip Esler off-list, regarding the
earlier thread. With his permission, I paste below his
comments.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com

Dear Loren

Many thanks for your clear and interesting analysis.

You may note that, although Mark Nanos and I basically
share this view, it is very rare for anyone to say
that circumcision is what Antioch was about. I started
suggesting this in 1987 (Community and Gospel in
Luke-Acts) but as recently as about 7 or so years ago
Nicholas Taylor stated I was virtually alone in the
world in believing it!

I do have a much more negative view of Paul's attitude
to the Jerusalem pillars. I think he went to Jerusalem
(Gal. 2.1-10) not to get their approval in any
subservient fashion, but to lay out his version of the
Gospel and to challenge them to show him what was
wrong with it. I would certainly agree, however, that
he would have thought that they were all members of
the one movement and I do not think I have ever said
the contrary.

However, as I will argue in my Romans book (Fortress
2003 I hope), Paul is more subdued in Romans and
back-peddles on some of the more extreme things he
said in Galatians. EG in Galatians Abraham is really
only the ancestor of non-Judean Christ-followers but
in Romans
4 (more sensibly) he is clearly the ancestor of Judean
and non-Judean believers.

You may like to ponder Rom. 15.31 - it is a quite
extraordinary thing, but often passed over, that Paul
should have any doubts that the Jerusalem crowd will
knock back his bag of shekels. This to me shows a very
bad relationship. In Acts 21 Luke does not even
mention
that Paul was bringing the collection (although he
does later in Acts) and this is presumably because of
the sensitivity of the issue. Paul's collection
represented a challenge to the Jerusalem leaders
(and Rom. 15.31 shows he realised that they would see
it that way). In my view, every coin Paul collected
was a reminder that James and Peter had reneged on the
Jerusalem agreement - big time.

If want to add the above to Corpus Paulinum, feel
free.

All the best

Philip