corpus-paul - Re: 4Q521

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Hyam Maccoby" <h.z.maccoby AT leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 4Q521
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:13:11 +0100

Dear Loren,

You wrote:

>With regards to the heavenly arch-angel type (the one
> you seem most dubious about), it seems that by the
> first century there were at least some messianic
> applications to the "one like a son of man" from
> Daniel, as in I Enoch 46:1,47:3.

The 'son of man' in Daniel is not called 'Messiah' and is clearly an angel.
Similarly, the figure in I Enoch is not called 'Messiah' and is an angel. I
am not denying that in some eschatological scenarios, liberation was
effected not by a Messiah, but by an angel. What I am saying is that
whenever the word 'Messiah' is used, this refers to a human kingly figure
(or a priestly figure). A clear statement of this is in IV Ezra, 7, where
the Messiah is explicitly stated to be human, and only after his death does
the phase of salvation begin, effected by God Himself and not the Messiah.
I agree that there were many different eschatological scenarios, some of
which did not involve a Messiah at all. Even in the rabbinic literature,
one rabbi, Rabbi Hillel (a descendant of the great Pharisee sage, Hillel)
declared that there would be no Messiah, because all the Scriptural
messianic prophecies were fulfilled by the reign of Hezekiah. Rabbi Hillel,
however, still believed that there would be a time of deliverance in the
future, but not under the direction of a figure called the Messiah.

All the best,

Hyam

-
Dr.Hyam Maccoby