corpus-paul - Re: Musings on Pauline studies in general...

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Musings on Pauline studies in general...
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:26:25 -0700

Steve wrote:

It would be interesting to draw up a
taxonomy of "Paul's" under discussion in
>modern research. There is the Anti-Semitic
Paul, the revolutionary Paul, the
conservative Paul, the liberal Paul, the
>feminist Paul, the patriarchal Paul...

Don't forget the most influential one of all: the
Lutheran Paul.

How could I forget the Lutheran Paul??!!?? I'd hate to be in the room if all these various Paul's were brought together into one place. Blood would flow... The Lutheran Paul would claim authority, the patriarchal Paul would shout "amen". The Anti-Semitic Paul always liked the Lutheran Paul, so he'd probably be ok with the whole thing. - the conservative Paul of Romans 13 would have a tough time resisting - the feminist Paul would get together with the revolutionary Paul (I wonder if Mary Daly would join them?) and hatch subversive schemes to overthrow the Lutheran Paul.

It wouldn't be pretty...

--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

-Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS