corpus-paul - Re: Musings on Pauline studies in general...

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Musings on Pauline studies in general...
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:35:15 -0400

At 12:28 PM 6/10/02 -0700, you wrote:
>I think it was Mary Daly who said something like, "Who the hell cares
>what Paul thought?"

[snipped]

i think this is important. i.e., do we REALLY hear the voice of Paul in the
many studies devoted to him or do we merely hear the voice of his
interpreters. the simple answer... we can never know- since paul is not
here to tell us if we are right or wrong. we can, at best, approximate what
paul thought. i suppose with this admission in hand we can honestly say-
this is, it seems to me, what paul is saying. more than this is hubris.

best

jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies