corpus-paul - Ritual Purity

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Dennis De Jarnette <positivedennis AT mchsi.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Ritual Purity
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 02:23:12 -0700

Hyam Macoby wrote:

As for James's comment 'They will hear the law in
the
synagogues on the Sabbath', this surely refers to Jews, not Gentiles.

This seems to me to turn the statement on its head, The context is the
gentiles. It makes no sense, at least to me!, to sudden assume that the
context changes to the Jews.

God fearers kept the Sabbath, and the Law makes it quite clear that a dweller
in the land, which Jervel proposes is that James thought the believing
gentiles were, did in fact observe the sabbath and other OT practices.

The problem was how to share a meal in the christian synagogue with gentiles,
when the custom was not to share such a meal with a gentile under any
circumstances.

Positive Dennis
Dennis De Jarnette

SMSU Master candidate