corpus-paul - Sanders

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Dennis De Jarnette <positivedennis AT mchsi.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Sanders
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 02:13:57 -0700

Vince wrote:

Dennis, I am not quite sure what you meant by your last statement. I
can
only assume that you are referring to Sanders' _Paul and Palestinians
Judaism_.  1. Do you mean that you read Sanders to say that Paul IS
against
the law?  Or 2. do you mean that you disagree with him, and rather
think
that Judaism was based on justification through the law?

No to the first, as for the second it depends on what you mean by judaism. The judaism of the surviving literature, no Sanders is quite right they do not advocate a law based righteousness, however was this the judaism that Paul faced?  I see Paul opponents as Gnostic much more than traditional Judaic.

Romans 8 is a good example of this. Paul is using gnostic terms in both a gnostic and non-gnostic way, nothing can separate us from Christ, not depth (A gnostic like term) nor principalities (various angelic intermediaries) THisd shows to me more who his oppenents were.

Actually I probably agree more with Sanders than disagree, but his main problem is that he assumes that the writings of the best of Judaism was what Paul faced. Therefore Judaism could not be legalistic.

The argument is:

Paul seems to say that the jews were legalisitc
My research shows the "Jews" were not legalistic,
Therefore Paul is not accusing them of legalism.

This is an great simplification, of course, but a Better title for his book would be

Rabbinic Judaism and Paul

Positive Dennis

Dennis De Jarnette
SMSU Master candidate

  • Sanders, Dennis De Jarnette, 06/04/2002