corpus-paul - Re: dating for Romans, etc.

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: zeba.crook AT utoronto.ca
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dating for Romans, etc.
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 18:47:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 May 2002, David Inglis wrote:

> 3) The refences to the praetorian guard and Caesar's household (Phil
> 1:12-14, 4:22) make Rome almost a certainty.

This is another of those areas which are aot nearly as obvious as you
think. The evidence does not point clearly to Rome, as other cities in
the Roman empire, like Ephesus, Corinth, and others had Roman
governmental buildings and prisons with their praetorian guards and were
frequently called "Caesar's household." This piece of evidence therefore
does not rule out other cities, though of course neither does it rule out
Rome.

> Also, I think you would be very hard pressed to find any evidence
> *against* Rome.

I think a commonly cited piece of evidence against Rome is the frequency
of the visits to have come all the way from Philippi. Ultimately we may
not know how long travel between these two points may have taken, but that
cuts is both directions, you can't be sure it doesn't completely rule
Rome out. Ephesus would eliminate the uncertainty of travel time
completely.

Cheers,

Zeb

I'm not writing from home so my signature files will not be attached.