corpus-paul - Re: The Mystery of Romans: the theme of- --- - restoration of Israel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Mystery of Romans: the theme of- --- - restoration of Israel
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:51:00 -0500

>>How do you determine the voice of any writer?????

I recall reading numerous articles discussing authorship of
numerous letters, books, etc... my list includes Paul thru
CS Lewis..... i.e. to use a quick example -- CS Lewis
happened to have written several different genres (science
fiction trilogy -- chronicles of narnia -- literary
criticism etc...)

If we jumped to the future and did not know that he wrote
widely --- then how could we determine the authorship of
said works ???? (of course this presumes that the author's
information is unknown -- such as Hebrews is.....)

I am very intriqued by the whole case concerning the
authorship of Hebrews and I have begun reading widely
.....<<

Style is amazingly elusive to define. Anthony Kenny has
written a couple of really useful books on the use of
statistics to describe or compare writing styles:

_The Computation of Style: An Introduction to Statistics for
Students of Literature and Humanities_ (Pergamon, 1982, and
I think it is out of print) is a good introduction that cuts
to the heart of what statistics are good for analyzing
style.

_A Stylometric Study of the New Testament_ (Clarendon Press,
1986, and I think is out of print) compares the NT books.

Other stylostatistical/stylometric studies that may be of
interest to you would be:

Kenneth J. Neumann, _The Authenticity of the Pauline
Epistles in the Light of Stylostatistical Analysis_
(Scholars Press, 1990, and it *is* in print).

A. Q. Morton, _Paul, The Man and the Myth_ (with James
McLeman, Hodder & Staughton, 1966, and out of print), and
Literary Detection: How to Prove Authorship and Fraud in
Literature and Documents_ (Charles Scribner's Sons, 1978,
and probably out of print)

These all contain extensive bibliographies.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA