corpus-paul - Re: Intro to NT Textbook

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Intro to NT Textbook
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 10:35:45 -0400

Dear Karl et al.,

Since I came to Codrington College in 1998, the theological seminary of the Anglican Church in the Province of the West Indies, I have used Raymond E. Brown's Introduction to the New Testament which I like for a number of reasons.  I agree that it would be a lot for college students; it is a lot for my seminarians (who are generally pursuing their first degree, the B.A. in Theology).  I like the depth and evenhandedness of its discussions and the richness of its bibliographies.  (The only major exception to the evenhandedness in Brown, in my opinion, is his discussion of Pauline chronology.)  When I also teach second year courses on Paul and John, for example, I always put Brown's Intro. on my bibliography as his discussions and bibliographies are always presupposed.

I also require my first-year students to purchase and use Kurt Aland's Synopsis of the Four Gospels.  I frequently recommend that the students purchase and use another book on Jesus which could be either Joachim Gnilka's Jesus of Nazareth or Dale C. Allison's book on Jesus as millenial prophet.

All best,
Frank W. Hughes