corpus-paul - Re: Intro to NT Textbook

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT attbi.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Intro to NT Textbook
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 17:24:41 -0600

"Karl P. Donfried" wrote:

> For years I have used David L. Barr's, NEW TESTAMENT STORY, with much
> success. Yet every time I teach the the intro to the NT course I owe it
> to myself and my students to find out what other such introductions have
> worked well for my colleagues teaching at the college level.
>
> Any comments would be welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance and all best wishes for the year 2002.

I find that with some slight reservations (I have some difficulties with his
discussion
of Romans, for instance), the 2nd edition of Bart Ehrman's NT Intro (from
Oxford) is a
wonderful text book.

But there are now at least two others that might give him some competition.
First, the
new text by Lee Martin McDonald and Stan Porter (_Early Christianity and its
Sacred
Literature_ Hendrickson). Second, the new text by David Wenham and Steve
Walton (which
now only deals with the Gospels and Acts) called _Exploring the New
Testament_ from
IVP.

I have only had a chance to glance at each of these, but they both look well
conceived,
with the Wenham/Walton text pitched more towards absolute beginners.

And then there's the Intro text from Eerdmans by Achtemeier, Green, and
Thompson. Has
anyone had experience with this and the others I've mentioned?

Yours,

Jeffrey
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)