corpus-paul - RE: Resistance & Subversive movements in antiquity

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "L. J. Swain" <larry.swain AT wmich.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Resistance & Subversive movements in antiquity
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:24:09 -0500

I haven't followed the thread, so sorry if this repeat information. I
couldn't find my copy, but in the late 80s there was a book done titled
_Pax Romani_ which basically posited that throughout the Roman empire,
the Pax Augusti was a veneer brutally enforced and under the surface the
Roman world seethed. While a good corrective to the "Rome kept the
peace for centuries" adage, ultimately the book failed to convince that
the empire was always on the brink of civil war and collapse. Still,
good evidence presented that not all was well everywhere.

Larry Swain