corpus-paul - Re: Mark (Phm 24; Col 4:10; Acts 15:37)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Kym Smith" <khs AT picknowl.com.au>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mark (Phm 24; Col 4:10; Acts 15:37)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:45:09 -0400

Dear Richard,

You said above, "He seems to have mistakenly identified the Mark of
Philemon 24 as John-Mark, and in doing so is in conflict with Acts. It is
an act of desperation to hypothesize that Paul changed his mind about
Mark. Why would Acts make so much of the parting if they subsequently came
together again?"

It seems to me a remarkable thing that it is a problem for us to see that
Paul, the apostle of the gospel of grace and forgivenenss, was unable to
have been reconciled with Mark/John-Mark. What was Paul on about - what
are we on about - if we see this as an issue? Luke's account of Paul's
parting with Barnabas and Mark in Luke is recorded as it is because that
is how it was, as simple as that.

Of course, if you do not take the pastorals as Pauline, then it will not
help, but we are talking about the man who could say of those who deserted
him at his trial, "May it not be charged against them" (2 Tim 4:16). This
was the man who had persecuted the church and been shown incredible grace
(1 Cor 15:8f - he did write this, didn't he?), do we think that he is
going to forever hold Mark's moment of weakness against him? Surely not!

The discipline applied by the apostle in his action against Mark (Acts
15:36f) would have been the very thing that brought correction to him
(Mark) and strengthened him for future conflicts. Paul, we see, was
commended by the brethren to the grace of God following his 'sharp
contention' with Barnabas. Were they simply afraid to oppose Paul, or did
they see that he was, himself, a man of grace?

Just a couple of thoughts from someone who is content to see Colossians,
Philemon and the Pastorals as authentically Pauline.

Sincerely,

Kym Smith
Adelaide
South Australia