corpus-paul - All Israel in Rom 9-11

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT ausisp.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: All Israel in Rom 9-11
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:13:49 +1000

| So Paul makes it clear that ethnic Jews will not be saved apart from
keeping the law
(which to
| Paul includes accepting him to whom the law and prophets witness).
Therefore unbelieving
Jews are
| "lost". But, Paul does envision, in ch. 11, a time when all Israel will be
returned to
godliness
| and thus be saved.
|
| Daniel R. Streett

Alternatively, Paul could be paralleling "all Israel" with the "full number
of Gentiles".
That is, Paul uses "all Israel" as a term for the full number of elected and
saved
Israelites vis-a-vis the full number of elected and saved Gentiles. Notice
that Rom 11:26
says KAI hOUTWS PAS ISRAHL SWQHSETAI, using the adverb hOUTWS -- "in this
way". The
question to ask is "In what way?". I think the context shows that Paul argues
for the
effectiveness of jealousy -- that is, those who are the true elect Israel
will all be
saved through the workings of jealousy as the elect Gentiles are saved, a la
Rom 11:11-14.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
(Sydney, Australia)

  • All Israel in Rom 9-11, George Athas, 10/17/2001