corpus-paul - Re: The theme of Rom 5 - 8

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The theme of Rom 5 - 8
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:36:52 -0700 (PDT)

Moon,

>I haven't read Segal. But as far as I read,
>Dunn and Nanos cannot be grouped in the
>same camp at all.

I was not trying to imply that Dunn, Segal, and Nanos
say the same thing about Rom 7. They disagree with
each other on important points. But they share a
common denominator in viewing Rom 7 as targeting the
fair inclusion of Gentiles in the body of Christ.

>Dunn's view seems quite close to yours.

You're right that Dunn comes closest to my own view,
especially with his focus on the eschatological
tension. But it's interesting how he confuses that
argument with a variant from the "new perspective".
Watch:

(Commenting on Rom 7:14)
"It is the flesh-law tie-up which has brought Israel,
in its pride in national identity as the elect people
of God, under the power of sin, whereas it is the
eschatological outpouring of the Spirit which has
liberated Paul and the law from that too narrowing
understanding of the law's role. This liberated and
liberating tie-up of the law and Spirit Paul expresses
more clearly in 8:2-4." (Dunn, Romans Vol I, p 387)

(Commenting on Rom 8:4)
"To be in Christ Jesus means...an experience of power
-- power which released believers from that false
perception of the law which made it possible for sin
to dominate even the people of the law so completely,
power that Paul had found more than sufficient to
break the vicious circle...of presumption of national
prerogative." (Ibid, p 440)

You see?

>I once read Rom 6 like you. I am trying to
>read it "consistently" from the New Perspective.

I've tried this as well, but even the best attempts
(like yours and Mark's) seem a bit too forced. Please
understand that I'm a firm advocate of the new
perspective. I just don't see Rom 5-8 as having much
to do with "new perspective" issues. But you do make a
commendable case for such, and I will continue to
ponder your insights on the matter.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com