corpus-paul - Re: HOW TO SEARCH THE ARCHIVE?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: HOW TO SEARCH THE ARCHIVE?
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 08:54:59 -0500

moon-ryul jung wrote:

> Would anyone explain how I can search the archive of the list?
> I wonder what roles "number of messages" and "jump backward" or "jump
> backward" play when I search. The maximum number of messages is
> 500. What does it mean? Can I search the whole archive from certain
> time point on or between some time point and another time point?

Archive searches begin with the date of the day of the latest posted message.
So the
jump backward feature works to determine how far back in the number of
accumulated
messages up to that point you might wish to include in your search
parameters. And it
actually goes up to one thousand, not 500. So if you don't find the message
you are
looking for, you might want to jump back another 1000, in case it is within
**that**
previous accumulated batch.

You can also search by date by plugging in the date or the date range when
you suspect
a sought after message might have been posted. Here you simply plug in the
approximate
date of the message sought after. You will also need to plug in a "number of
messages"
range.

This is, I admit, not the most user friendly "search utility". But the Lyris
software
that runs the show has other (often unseen) advantages -- at least for List
moderation
-- over, say, the software through which XTalk is run.

Hope this helps

Yours,

Jeffrey

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

  • HOW TO SEARCH THE ARCHIVE?, moon-ryul jung, 10/01/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: HOW TO SEARCH THE ARCHIVE?, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 10/01/2001