corpus-paul - Re: Gospel to all nations

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jill and Dale Walker <jilldale AT rcnchicago.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gospel to all nations
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 16:30:37 -0500

If the Pastorals did fit into any consensus chronology, this would
be used as an argument of their authenticity. Now the fact that
they don't is being used as an argument for their authenticity.
How valuable is an argument that can be argued both ways?

I also think too much credit is being given to pseudepigraphers.
Once you get past people, places, and death, there isn't too much
biographical information about Paul to be found in the
inauthentic letters. Sure, there are examples of self-speech, but
do they require historical investigation to create? I don't think
so. "Bring my coat" is just fanciful embellishment.

By the way, is there any evidence for speaking of a "well-known
chronology of Acts." And is there any evidence of people
checking their biographical ideas about Paul with his authentic
letters? Acts climaxes with Paul's arrival in Rome. That's not the
way Paul talks in Romans. This suggests that not even the
author of Acts stuck to the biographical details in Paul's letters.
I don't think that the author of the Acts of Paul & Thecla
was concerned to do so either.

Dale