corpus-paul - RE: rights of extradition

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Richard Anderson" <randerson58 AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: rights of extradition
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:46:57 -0400

My question is:  Does Bruce's claim about rights of extradition hold up under scrutiny. Even assuming that there were such rights in effect in Julius Caesar's time, do we have any reason to think that they were also in effect in the fourth decade CE?

Josephus, War 1.474 states: "No other sovereign had been enpowered by Caesar as he [Herod] had, to reclaim a fugitive subject even from outside his jurisdiction."

However the power of the HP is not dependent upon Caesar but the level of relations between the synagogue to whom the request is sent and the reigning HP.  Thus if there is cordial relations then the request will be honored. Mantel has shown that the High Priest and the Nesi'im was in contact with all the Jewish communities through emissaries and proclamations.

  • H. Mantel, Studies in the History of the Sanhedrin, (Cambridge, Mass., 1961), 188; In Acts 9:1-2, Luke's report on Saul's planned persecution implies that letters from the High Priest could have considerable influence in synagogues as far away as Damascus; see also Acts 9:14, 22:5 and 26:12.

    Richard H. Anderson
    Wallingford PA
    http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke