corpus-paul - Re: Humility & status conventions

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT lstc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Humility & status conventions
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 00:25:46 -0700

Title: Re: [corpus-paul] Humility & status conventions
At 5:44 PM +0930 6/29/01, Tim Harris wrote:
Being a newcomer to the Corpus Paulinum, I thought I might briefly introduce myself and indicate my area of research. I am a doctoral student at Flinders University in Sth. Aust.. My thesis is on "'Count others better than yourself': Pauline notions of humility and deference in Graeco-Roman perspective". My starting point is Edwin Judge's distinction (which I hope to test) between rank and status in Pauline social ethics (basically that Paul accepted notions of rank as a 'given', but challenged status conventions (how rank was employed ). My focus alongside Paul is on stoicism of the early imperial period: especially Musonius Rufus, Epictetus and to a lesser extent, Dio Chysostom.

I think that Plutarch should certainly be added to your list of ancient authors. If you only read Stoics, you will get a very foreshortened view of the early Roman empire. Add Lucian, Ailios Aristides too. And you cannot overlook the Latin writers either!

My basic thesis is that humility (and similar terms) has been domesticated in Christian thought, considered little more than 'being nice' and not getting too arrogant. Whilst stoic teaching similarly condemned undue pride and arrogance, Pauline instruction on humility (esp. Philippians 2) was much more radical, even subversive, in much the same way as the cruciform shape given to perceptions of strength and weakness, honour and shame. A whole value system is being challenged, with alternative notions of strength, power and sufficiency (cf. Deidre Good on 'meekness'). I am also exploring the relationship between humility, deference and subordination.

I am interested in knowing of any other studies in related areas, and especially of any papers or publications on the use of status conventions. In particular-
-any recent studies on Paul and Stoic social ethics (the classic work is by Albrecht Dihle in RAC; I'm aware of most major studies up to Engberg-Pedersen 'Paul and the Stoics')

Try Max Pohlenz, Paulus und die Stoa, reprinted some years ago by the Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft.

-any work on 'HUPOTASSW', - is it necessarily hierarchical, or possibly a recognition of an ordering of gifts or 'charisms' under God & more mutually recognised?

For hYPOTASSO read Plutarch's advice to a bride and groom.

-despite fairly extensive reading, I have yet to come across a convincing and incisive treatment of what is meant by 'in humility count others as better than yourselves' (Phil. 2:3). What does this really mean? It obviously must be taken in reference to 2:6-8 (an exegetical minefield in itself!)

Check out (1) Aristotle's ethics on humility; read Phil 2:1-4 in the light of the military language in 1:27-30 and the writers on military tactics. Vegetius in Latin, Aeneas Tacticus, etc.

Any suggestions or references appreciated.

Tim Harris
email:
tharris AT senet.com.au
Dept. of Theology, (doctoral studies)
Flinders University
Rector, St. Matthew's Kensington,
PO Box 56
Kensington Park, Sth. Australia 5068

---
You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: ekrentz AT lstc.edu

Edgar Krentz
Christ Seminary--Seminex Professor of New Testament, Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street, Chicago, IL 60615
Tel: 773-256-0773; home phone 773-947-8105
e-mail: ekrentz AT lstc.edu
home e-mail: ekrentz AT winstarmail.com
GERASKO D' AEI POLLA DIDASKOMENOS
"I grow old, constantly learning many things." [Solon of Athens]