corpus-paul - Re: success

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <dicksonj AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: success
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:47:04 +1000

Rick Strelan wrote:
I have a problem with the idea of Christians having access to public space or being in the position to rent courtyards etc. Was it socially and/or legally possible for them to do so?

One would have to take it case by case. In some places (Corinth?) I suspect a few Christians were in a position (do you mean financially?) to rent space, though in others (Thessalonica?) perhaps not. As for the legality, this too will vary, but I suspect in the period of Paul himself the sect was not as spurious as it is sometimes viewed in parts of the world today (you mentioned Sri Lanka). In some cases, the Christian gatherings would have appeared Jewish. Outdoor Jewish meetings posed no legal problem for the most part. Nevertheless, I take your point that outdoor meetings such as I am proposing ('floating') are just as easily imagined as occuring alongside rivers or on the beach, etc.

As for your more basic question (what makes anyone think there were a number of groups consisting of about 40 Christians in Corinth in Paul's own time?): I too look forward to the various responses.
One piece of evidence for a large gathering of Christians is contained in Rom 16. Leaving aside the textual/geographical issue, this chapter lists no fewer than 26 individuals, (almost) all of whom (on my reckoning) are to be considered 'workers' in the mission/church task, suggesting the existence of many more 'ordinary' (sorry, couldn't think of a better word) believers for whom these workers were responsible. One could perhaps argue that the 'working/workers' language throughout this chapter concerns the mission/edification activities of all believers but the evidence of Paul's letters would speak against that.

John Dickson
Department of Ancient History
Macquarie University
Sydney, Australia