corpus-paul - Re: success

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Rick S" <rick.strelan AT mailbox.uq.edu.au>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: success
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:44:48 +1000

John Dickson wrote:

But some religious gatherings in the ancient world were held outdoors - off the top of my head I can think of two instances of Jewish worship held outdoors. Why could we not, then, imagine several house churches in a city meeting regularly and independently - say, in groups of 40 or so - and then every so often coming together (1 Cor 14:23) in large outdoor gatherings - rented courtyards, public gardens, or whatever?

Possible. I have a problem with the idea of Christians having access to public space or being in the position to rent courtyards etc. Was it socially and/or legally possible for them to do so? For what it's worth, I have met with Christians in Colombo, Sri Lanka, and it took me awhile to realise that it was not possible for them to rent public space like halls. All the things that in my world  are so accessible to me as a Christian [such as the media, public space] simply are not accessible to Christians in Sri Lanka. True also in Corinth etc for Christians?

If Christians did meet 'outdoors', my guess is that it was outside of the cities along a river or by the beach [Justin meets the Christian philosopher along a deserted beach].

My basic questions stands: what makes anyone think there were a number of groups consisting of  about 40 Christians in Corinth in Paul's own time?

Rick Strelan