corpus-paul - Re: THOSE UNDER THE LAW (To Loren and Mark)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: THOSE UNDER THE LAW (To Loren and Mark)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 06:57:12 -0400

> Hello Moon,
> 3:10: “For all who rely on the works of the law are
> under a curse. For it is written, ‘Cursed is everyone
> who does not observe and obey all things written in
> the book of law’.”
>
> “All”refers to Gentiles, for Paul didn’t believe that
> Jews who relied on the works of the law were under a
> curse. On the contrary, he knew very well that they
> could “observe and obey all things written in the book
> of law”, and he himself is a stellar example (Philip.
> 3:6).

Your reasoning seems quite interesting. But I wonder if I got
what you meant. Let me paraphrase what you wrote. Please see if
I am on the right track.

Any Gentiles who are of works of the law are under curse, because
the Law itself declares that the Law people should obey all things
written in the book of law and those who failed to do so are cursed,
but the Gentiles are unable to keep all the commandments,
[ which the Jews can do, though. ]

So, any Jews who are of works of the Law are NOT under curse,
because they can obey the commandments of the Law,
but any Gentiles who are of works of the Law are under curse
because they are not able to obey all the commandments of the Law.

Quite interesting! Is it how you understand the statement
"The Law was blessing to Jews but curse to Gentiles", which I
remember reading from the book of Gaston?

According to this logic, those Gentiles who did not get
under the Law were better off than those who did, because
the former were not under the Law and thus were not under
curse. Or do you mean that the Law was a curse to Gentiles
whether they got under the Law or not?

> 3:11-12: “Now it is evident that no one is justified
> before God by the law, for ‘the one who is righteous
> will live by faith’. But the law does not rest on
> faith. On the contrary, ‘whoever does the works of the
> law will live by them’.”
>
> This citation of texts makes for awkward reading. Paul
> says that the law is not connected with faith, but
> that the person who performs the “works of the law”
> will live by them. To me, this implies that no one
> actually performs the “works of the law” adequately,
> because life comes from faith, not the Torah. On your
> (and Dunn’s) own reading of “works of the law” -- as
> Jewish identity markers, as opposed to “deeds in
> general” (with which I agree) -- this can only refer
> to Gentiles. The Jewish people performed the “works of
> the law” (circumcision, purity regulations, etc.) more
> than adequately.

I read 3:12 (hO DE NOMOS OUK ESTIN EK PISTEWS, ALLA
hO POIHSAS AUTA ZHSETAI EN AUTOIS ) as follows:

By the way (DE), the Law is not about faith but about doing
as it is written "those who do them will live in them".

More on this. I have to hurry up.

Moon