corpus-paul - Re: 1 Cor 13

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT lstc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1 Cor 13
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:26:55 -0700

> Any thoughts on the object of what 'we see in a mirror dimly' in 1 Cor
13:12? Is it God? ourselves? the future? something else?

i have always taken it to be "reality". we perceive reality only in the most
indescript and vague fashion. our perceptions of the whys and hows of life are
frequently skewed because of our finitude. i think what paul says here is
that "we now perceive all things in a rather distorted way but in future we
will perceive things as they really are". this is, of course, almost a
recapitulation of plato's famous allegory of the cave, but i think that is
precisely what paul is thinking.

so, it is god, ourselves, the future, and everything else to which paul
refers. its not "one of the above" from your list of possibilities but "all of
the above".

best,
as ever
Jim West

Let me add to what Jim says. Ancient mirrors were made of polished bronze and gave a very poor image to whoever looked into them.

I think the point of comparison Paul is making is over two kinds of vision. His comparison is not over what is seen in the mirror or face to face. Note how he shifts from vision to knowing and then to being known.

Peace, Ed Krentz

I have been out of e-mail touch for three weeks, travelling from Chicago to Berkeley and then getting Internet access set up. Excuse it if I am repeating what someone else has already said.

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament, Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street, Chicago, IL 60615
Tel: 773-256-0773
e-mail: ekrentz AT lstc.edu
Fall 2000 address 1300 Delaware #15, Berkeley, CA 94702
Phone in Berkeley : 510-702-0542
GERASKO D' AEI POLLA DIDASKOMENOS
"I grow old, constantly learning many things." [Solon of Athens]