corpus-paul - Re: Does True Historian = Objective Historian?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Does True Historian = Objective Historian?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:15:42 -0500

Ron, why is it a "bleak" situation to admit that one cannot be more objective
than
prior scholars? Of course we strive for as much awareness of our
presuppositions as
possible, so that they will influence us less in hidden ways. This does not
mean we
will succeed any more or better than did our forebears. I don't see how
humility
hurts scholarship, or makes the enterprise "bleak." SEM

"Ronald L. Troxel" wrote:

> Zeba Crook wrote:
> >Either way, recent scholarship is no less and no more objective
> >historically than
> is
> >previous scholarship; we simply are working under new presuppositions.
>
> As true as it is that we work out of cultural environments that condition
> our
> reading, if the situation were as bleak as you've depicted it, I would turn
> in my
> cap and gown.
begin:vcard
n:McGinn, Ph.D.;Sheila E.
tel;fax:216-397-4518
tel;work:216-397-3087
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.jcu.edu/bible/mcginn
org:Biblical Studies & Early Christianity;Religious Studies
adr:;;20700 N. Park Blvd;University Heights;OH;44118;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:smcginn AT jcu.edu
title:Associate Professor
fn:Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.