corpus-paul - Re: John Gager's "Reinventing Paul"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Antonio Jerez" <antonio.jerez AT privat.utfors.se>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: John Gager's "Reinventing Paul"
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:41:07 +0200

Loren Rosson wrote:

> The most controversial aspect of the book probably
> lies in Stendahl's famous "two-path" plan of salvation
> with regards to Rom. 9-11. Gager writes that for Paul
> Israel would be saved apart from the Christ (Rom.
> 11:25-27), that Paul taught salvation through Christ
> only as a "special path" for Gentiles (see p. 146).
> But it is difficult to imagine a first-century Jew
> like Paul to believe that most of Israel would be
> saved apart from her own messiah. Stendahl's view
> makes Paul Jewish by twentieth century standards, but
> perhaps not very Jewish by first-century standards.

Although a swedish compatriot of mine I think Stendahl is
indulging in wishful thinking. As modern, liberal Christians,
living in a post-holocaust world it is natural that neither Gager
or Stendahl have much use of a Paul (or any other early
Christian writer) who teaches that the New Convenant has
replaced the Old Covenant. This is political correctness at its
worst and has little to do with working as a true historian. A
historian lets the persons from the past speak for themselves
and does not take into consideration if their ideas might not
fit any longer with our worldview or my personal ideology.
Both Stendahl, Gager (and
Gaston) must twist and turn Paul's words in Romans 11:17-24
in the most horrendous ways to push poor Paul in a direction
that he never intended but which certainly suits these gentlemen.

Best wishes

Antonio Jerez