corpus-paul - John Gager's "Reinventing Paul"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David Miller" <osdmiller AT roth.hul.huji.ac.il>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: John Gager's "Reinventing Paul"
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:41:41 -0400

> Gager hammers home the point that Paul had nothing
> against the law in so far as how it related to the
> Jewish people, that all negative devaluations of the
> Torah found in Galatians and Romans applied to
> Gentiles and Gentiles alone.

How does he deal with Paul's use of the first person plural (e.g. Gal 3:13
"Christ redeemed *us* from the curse of the law...")? What about Paul's
statement that Peter lives like a Gentile (Gal 2:14)? Does he discuss Phil
3:7-9?

(I wish I could evaluate the book myself, but I think it will be difficult
to purchase a copy in Israel.)

David Miller
Visiting Research Student, Hebrew University