corpus-paul - RE: how old was he

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bob MacDonald" <bobmacdonald AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: how old was he
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:15:15 -0700

Jim West asked (with a grin)
how old was paul when he died? 57 is my guess.

In Philemon 1:9 he calls himself an old man (if that can be accepted as the
translation)
Conjecture in the original English Jerusalem Bible is that he was born
between 5 and 10 and died between 62 and 67. If Philemon was written in the
early 60s, that makes him between 50 and 55 - just old enough to consider
himself no longer 17 (I speak from my experience of growing up 38 years in
the past 7).

Could he have studied under Gamaliel in the 20s, ie between the age of 10
and 20 (assuming the Acts tradition is accepted)?

Bob

BobMacDonald AT home.com
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +
Catch the foxes for us,