corpus-paul - RE: Dunn's Interpretation of Phil 2:6ff

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Dr. Michael Gorman" <MGorman AT stmarys.edu>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul ' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Dunn's Interpretation of Phil 2:6ff
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 00:13:07 -0400

Liz,

Two issues surrounding the Adam-interpretation of Phil 2 have been what that
interpretation says or does not say about (1) Christ's pre-existence
according to Phil 2 and (2) possible allusions within Phil 2 to the
suffering-servant hymn in Isa 53. Some have suggested that the Adam
interpretation and either (1) or (2) or both are mutually exclusive. You may
wish to look at Dunn's more recent treatment of Phil 2 in his Theology of
Paul, in which (more so than in Christology, as I recall) he allows for
pre-existence (or something like it) to co-exist with the Adam
interpretation. Also, N.T. Wright's chapter on Phil 2 in The Climax of the
Covenant argues with Dunn on some key points and finds the
Adam-interpretation strongly supportive of both pre-existence and (I think)
allusions to the suffering servant within the large context of second Isaiah
(esp Isa 45:23).

Mike Gorman
Ecumenical Institute of Theology
St. Mary's Seminary & University