corpus-paul - Dunn's Interpretation of Phil 2:6ff

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Dunn's Interpretation of Phil 2:6ff
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 17:44:23 -0400

Dear All,
I'm reading Dunn's book Christology in the Making.
I have just finished his chapter on Paul's Adam theology.
Dunn interprets the hymn in Phil. along the lines of Christ as
Adam. Christ as a sinless human was (like Adam) in the
form of God. He then chose to die (anyway), and so took
on the form of a slave.

How is this interpretation viewed among Pauline scholars?
Or, how does each of you view this interpretation?

Thanks,
Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried
Visiting Scholar