corpus-paul - Re: Paul in the Gospels

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: RSBrenchley AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul in the Gospels
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:42:32 EDT

Sakari Hakkinen writes:

<< Now we come to some interesting question: does the NT
reflect 1) Pauline view (opposite to Judeo-Christian
view/Petrines/Jacobeans or something) or 2) a synthetic view
that wanted to accept both lines into one church. The former
is something Goulder would perhaps agree to, the latter was
the famous view of Baur. >>

Has anyone considered the possible influence of the Jewish Wars here? The
First may be unmentioned, or virtually so, in the NT, but surely it must have
had a major influence on the church, as the Second would on the post-NT
church. Wars produce refugees - I should know, I married one, my daughters
had to be rescued from a civil war, and I am undeniably biased on the
subject. I would imagine the two wars must have produced waves of refugees
(is there independent evidence of this?), and some of them would have been
Christians, very likely of the Jamesite persuasion. Suppose two (or maybe
more than two) movements had continued in virtual independence for a
generation, with only the loosest contact between their leaders, and then the
movement of people brought believers of different persuasions into closer
contact. In some cases, no doubt, sparks would have flown, generating a
polemical response. In others, groups might have merged, giving rise to a
synthesis or syntheses.
I'm obviously indulging in pure speculation, but if anyone knows more, I'd
very much like to hear about it.