corpus-paul - Re: Goulder's Two Mission Hypothesis

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Robert Brenchley" <RSBrenchley AT aol.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Goulder's Two Mission Hypothesis
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 19:42:46

On 02/09/00, "JMAZHAM AT aol.com" wrote:
> To the Group:
I just finished Professor Goulder's book on St Paul Versus St. Peter:
Tale of Two Missions. Professor Goulder's theories put the "puzzle"
together
almost too neatly. I would be interested on the group's thoughts on
Professor
Goulder's Two Mission Hypothesis.
Best regards,
Jim Day

>Michael convinced me of the outline of his theory years ago, but you're
right, it is a bit too neat to be true. Surely there were more than two
groups involved; Matthew thinks a lot of Peter, takes a very unPauline view
of the Law, but certainly isn't a follower of James, so where does he fit
in. Was there a Peter group as well as a James group? I see it more in
terms of a movement which had a tendency to fragment under the pressures of
the age, and moved into many of the various facets of Second Temple
Judaism, which was extremely diverse.
I feel that Michael tends to underestimate the Jewishness of all the NT
writers; twenty-odd years between the crucifixion and Paul's first letters
is a very short time to invent a complete theology from scratch! I suspect
he did what we all do, and rang the changes on what was there already. I
also feel that Michael underestimates the apocalyptic elements in the NT,
but then that's one of the abiding sins of the church.Or am I being
unfair?

Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley AT aol.com