corpus-paul - Re: Pauline and Jesus Movements <LYR86769-47687-2000.04.03-13.25.49--ekrentz#lstc.edu@franklin.oit.unc.edu>

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT lstc.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pauline and Jesus Movements <LYR86769-47687-2000.04.03-13.25.49--ekrentz#lstc.edu AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 20:45:56 -0800

David Hindley wrote:

> The relationship between the Peter of the Gospels and the Cephas of
> Galatians is textually very tenuous. In the Textus Receptus,
> PETRON,PETROS/PETRW appears in Gal 1;18; 2:7,8,11,14, and KHFAS
> appears in 2:9 (and 1 Cor 3:22; 9:5; and as KHFA in 1 Cor 1:12 &
> 15:5). However, W-H and the GNT (NA26 at least) have one or another
> form of KHFA/KHFAS/KEFAN *except* at Gal 2:7,8 (which use PETROS and
> PETRW respectively), and these verses are regularly (although not
> universally) regarded as a bona-fide interpolation. Otherwise, the
> only other place we find a form of "Peter" is in the Gospels and Acts
> (except KHFAS in John 1:42).

Another way of accounting for the difference is by a form of tradition criticism. The references to KHFAS in Galatians 2 may be drawn from a Palestinian source about the meeting, while the PETROS references may come from an Antioch source. I recall reading this explanation years ago, but cannot recall where. And with my library in Chicago and my body in Berkeley, CA, I cannot track it down.

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament, Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
e-mail: ekrentz AT lstc.edu
In Berkeley, CA for the spring semester
Snail mail: Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary
2770 Marin Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94708-1597
Tel: 510-704-0542
GERASKO D' AEI POLLA DIDASKOMENOS
"I grow old, constantly learning many things."
[Solon of Athens]