corpus-paul - Happy99.exe worm -- not a hoax

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Happy99.exe worm -- not a hoax
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:37:45 +0100

On 27 Mar 00, at 18:38, Robert Hunter wrote:

> Regarding the following virus warning that was posted earlier today,

> you may breathe easy as Symantec says that Budweiser is a hoax, not a
> virus. See http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/buddylst.zip.html.

You are right about that, but I am sorry to say that with this very
message you have inadvertently sent a worm to the list, the
happy99.exe worm. The origin of this was probably the earlier
message to the list from Dr.Kishore Kosala, with which also came
a copy of the happy99.exe worm, as Jim West pointed out.
Anyone who has opened this attachment will find that the worm
has done its work and you will need to disinfect your machine.

As I understand it, the worm connects itself to your email program
and sends out copies of the worm without you knowing it to
everyone to whom you have sent legitimate Emails. This is
particularly problematic in the case of the E-Lists because multiple
copies of the worm will be sent out. There are some details about it
and information on how to remove it
at:

http://www.symantec.com/ns-
search/promos/webmaster/happyworm.html?NS-searc
h-set=/38b46/aaa0wjA_1b46da6&NS-doc-offset=0&

(but of course watch the wrap).

The difficulty is that we are now so use to seeing the hoaxes that it
is a bit of a surprise when we get a real virus! If anyone has
opened either of these attachments, you must take action to
disinfect your email programs as soon as you can.

All best
Mark

Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Dept of Theology
University of Birmingham Fax.: +44 (0)121 414 6866
Birmingham B15 2TT Tel.: +44 (0)121 414 7512

http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
All-in-One Biblical Resources Search
New Testament Gateway
Mark Without Q