corpus-paul - Re: Gal 2:16/ Pss

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gal 2:16/ Pss
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:08:29 -0600

Dear Cameron,
Of course, Gal 2:16 may allude to Ps 142:2 LXX, because PASA SARX and
PAS ZWN are synonymous concepts, and the UBS GNT apparatus lists this very
reference as pertinent to the phrase OU DIKAIWQHSETAI PASA SARX in Gal
2:16. Paul was likely to use the Psalms in order to make theological points
because he did so repeatedly in Romans (3:4, 10-18; 4:7-8). But I do not
know why "psalms of temple entry" is a significant category for Psalm 142
LXX, which is David's plea for deliverance from an enemy who is pursuing
him. Social ethics is not a particular topic of the psalm, even if it is
relevant to Galatians 2. I think that David's point is more general; men
are unrighteous before God; so David needs mercy just like anyone else. If
God does not hear his prayer, He will be bringing David into judgment (Ps
142:2a LXX) in the sense that the enemy may overtake him. While the idea of
social ethics is important to the Psalms, it is not particularly relevant
to Ps 142:2; thus this verse would not be the one to quote if trying to
allude to social ethics as a means of justification.
You write, "My point is this: If Paul were alluding to this specific
psalm because of its exacting language, and because he more or less
understood the concept of social ethics as a means towards righteousness in
the Psalms, then wouldn't it be possible to expand on his notion of what it
meant to be
justified before the Lord (that in no sense was works righteousness ever a
viable means to setting oneself right before God, but that it was always
more about social behavior; cf. Mic 6, Isa 1:10-20)?"
Paul's contrast in Gal 2:16 is not between works righteousness and
social behavior, but between works righteousness and faith (Gal 2:16 twice;
cf. vv. 20-21). If we want to follow Paul's argument we should grasp his
notion, not necessarily try to expand it.

Sincerely,
Harold Holmyard

  • Gal 2:16/ Pss, Fish__44, 03/17/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Gal 2:16/ Pss, Harold R. Holmyard III, 03/17/2000
    • Re: Gal 2:16/ Pss, Mark D. Nanos, 03/17/2000