corpus-paul - Re: hUPO NOMON in Gal 4:5

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanos AT mail.gvi.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hUPO NOMON in Gal 4:5
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 14:02:33 -0600

Ray,
I appreciate your note, and learning that we are on a similar track on this matter. I hope you are well. I have not real criticism of your construction; I like it. I suppose the matter of "physical" satisfaction I would suggest is rather "symbolic" and in terms of indisputable identity (the physical is likely the least satisfying, I would imagine). But all in all we are on the same track on the issue of an inter-communal exigence that may be one of the factors precipitating the appeal of proselyte conversion.

Last summer I actually had my first chance to try out the view I have been (and still am) developing of the inter-communal context of the situation, and with respect to Paul's comment in 6:12, a new proposal as far as I am aware, building on the insights of several others with a different interpretation of the implications. Most of my work the past few years has focused upon the intra- and inter-Jewish contexts of Paul's rhetoric and the rhetorical situation in Galatia, as well as in the narratives of the autobiographical account. The first chance to try out my reading of the intra- and inter-communal, that is Jewish vis-a-vis pagan communal issues was very exciting, as it was presenting my view while on a tour in Turkey last summer with Bob Jewett as respondent.

Good to hear from you Ray. I look forward to seeing your fuller discussion when available.

Regards,
Mark Nanos
Kansas City