corpus-paul - Westar Institute Conference

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jim Hester" <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: Corpus Paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Westar Institute Conference
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:32:23 -0800

I recently received a mailing that might be of some interest to members of
the list, if for no other reason than to be on the lookout for future
publications.

Over the years I have been listed as a fellow of the Jesus Seminar but
hardly involved in its proceedings. A few years back, Funk started up
another such group to be focussed on pauline studies, the so-called Paul
Seminar, which I thought might produce some interesting things. It has been
floundering a bit but promises, among other things, to produce a new
translation of the pauline corpus. Beyond that nothing much that I can see
has happened. In fact, it is beginning to look like its work may be
subsumed under the newly formed Acts Seminar.

The mailing I received last week has to do with the spring 2000 meeting of
the Institute in March. One of the featured speakers is James Veitch, an
associate professor of religious studies at Victoria Uni of Wellington, New
Zealand. The blurb summarizing his presentation reads as follows: "The
Apostle Paul is largely a Christian fiction. The historical Paul was not a
Pharisee and not a Jew. He wrote very little and probably made only one
journey. Why, then, have so many letters been attributed to him... Why did
his admirers create such a grand persona for him? Why has he been hallowed
as the founder of Christianity? Who was the historical Paul as distinct from
the Apostle of Christian fiction?"

I don't know Veitch's work and therefore don't know what critical method he
is using to arrive as these conclusions. Is any member of the list familiar
with Veitch's writings? Using rhetorical critical methodology I could map
out an answer to the question concerning the creation of a persona, but why
the skepticism concerning Paul's Jewish heritage, etc.?

Anyway, I thought some might be interested.
Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu

  • Westar Institute Conference, Jim Hester, 01/18/2000