corpus-paul - slave names in Rom 16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus Paulinum <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: slave names in Rom 16
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 08:57:18 -0600

Reading through Jimmy Dunn's article on Romans in the Dictionary of Paul and His Letters,  I came across the claim that at least fourteen of the twenty four names in chp. 16 are names of slaves. Now, this may be a Paul 101 question, but I am puzzled how Dun knows this to be the case. How it it determined that a particular name is a slave name? What are the criteria for saying what name came from what strata of society?

Yours,

Jeffrey

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson