corpus-paul - RE: Composite letters (was Re: Authenticity in the Pauline Corpus)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jimi Fosdick <JFosdick AT callisto.com>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Composite letters (was Re: Authenticity in the Pauline Corpus)
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:31:37 -0500

> I think Jimi ("Purple Haze, all in my brain" "Been working on your
> dissertation again, eh?") is referring to the various composite (?)
> hypotheses. Among the most discussed are: that Rom 16 was
> originally part of another letter; that Philippians and 2 Corinthians are
in
> reality several letters edited together. Of these: probably the most
widely
> adhered to is the suggestion that 2 Cor is a composite of several pauline
letters.

I think that is exactly what motivated my question in the first place.
Pursuant to a disucssion on XTalk somebody mentioned the "composite letter"
idea which I had never heard before. Any suggestions on where one would find
a defense of such ideas?

> None of these hypotheses has achieved "majority opinion" status.

Well I think in general there is a dearth of "majority opinion" anywhere in
NT studies.

Jimi Fosdick
Wheaton, IL

"Philosophy is a field of study designed to keep dangerously incompetant
people in the University, and away from sharp objects and moving
machinery."