corpus-paul - populations of Paul's cities

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus Paulinum <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: populations of Paul's cities
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 23:29:56 -0500

This evening in my Paul class I had occasion to note Murphy O'Connor's
estimate that at the time of Paul's writing of 1 Cor there were no more
than 50-100 Christians within Corinth. In response one of my students
wanted to know what percentage of the Corinthian population that figure
represented. And I had to say I didn't know, not knowing how large
Corinth was or how populated it was in the mid 50's ce. So I bring this
question to the List: what was the population of Corinth at this time.

Additionally, what was the population of Thessalaonika, Ephesus,
Philippi, and the remainder or the cities Paul evangelized? And what are
the current estimates of the size of the Christian congregations within
each of them?

Yours,

Jeffrey
--