corpus-paul - Paul and meat sacrificed to idols

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Nathan McGovern <NM_McGovern AT ACAD.FANDM.EDU>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Paul and meat sacrificed to idols
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 15:59:06 -0700

I posted the following to the XTalk list earlier today:

> I'm a bit confused as to what Paul is saying in 1 Cor. 10:14-32. Is he
> saying, "Eat meat sacrificed to idols," or "Don't eat meat sacrificed to
> idols"?
>
> Reading just up to verse 22, it seems clear that he is saying the latter.
> But in verses 23-29a, he seems to reverse course and say, "You can eat meat
> sacrificed to idols, but if someone (presumably a Jewish Christian who
> might complain to James) says something to you about it, don't eat it. But
> verse 29b doesn't make any sense at all: He seems to be saying, "Don't eat
> meat sacrificed to idols if someone says something to you about it, not on
> account of your own conscience but on account of the other person's,
> BECAUSE you shouldn't be ruled by another person's conscience," which is
> self-contradictory. Maybe my translation is just confusing. In any case,
> Paul returns again in verse 32 to his policy of "When in Rome, do as the
> Romans do," which again suggests that he is telling people to eat meat
> sacrificed to idols if they can get away with it.
>
> To wit, I am thoroughly confused.

Jeffrey Gibson recommended that I post this query to this list (for which I
thank him). I realize that my use of a translation is a bit of a breach of
protocol; but I don't know very much Greek, and in verse 29b, this seems to
be the main problem. I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!

Nathan McGovern
Franklin and Marshall College
nm_mcgovern AT acad.fandm.edu