corpus-paul - ENESTWSAN ANAGKHN in I Cor 7:26

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus Paulinum <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: ENESTWSAN ANAGKHN in I Cor 7:26
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 12:57:02 -0500

In 1 Cor 7:26  Paul speaks about the fact that there are certain things that the Corinthians should not do DIA THN ENESTWSAN ANAGKHN.  I'd be grateful if List Members would comment on just what this ENESTWSAN ANAGKHN  is. I'm aware of the line of scholarship, reflected in such translations of the _expression_ as is found in the NRSV ( "in view of the impending crisis") which takes ENESTWSAN ANAGKHN to be the "end of the world" and uses 1 Cor 7:29, 31 as evidence in support of this view. But MUST this be the what  Paul has in mind? Has anyone taken a position that the ENESTWSAN ANAGKHN which Paul speaks of  is something far more mundane and local? And if so, what is it?

Thanks in advance.

Yours,

Jeffrey
--