corpus-paul - Re: texts

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "J.E.Harding" <BSP97JEH AT sheffield.ac.uk>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: texts
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:53:05 +0100

It would seem to me that in a still largely oral culture, though
literate, Paul may well have known a good many texts by heart. It is
also possible that Paul's books of scripture were small scrolls
containing small units of text, in the manner of florilegia or catenae-
on which see Qumran Scrolls such as 4Q174 and 4Q177. On the latter
point, see T. H. Lim, Holy Scripture in the Qumran Commentaries and
Pauline Letters (Oxford: Clarendon, 1997).

James Harding
University of Sheffield

> Date sent: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:39:53 +1000
> To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> From: Rick Strelan <rick.strelan AT mailbox.uq.edu.au>
> Subject: [corpus-paul] texts
> Send reply to: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>

> Probably speculation, finally, but what access did Paul have to actual
> texts of the Scriptures? Did he 'own' them? Access them in a synagogue?
> Quote them from memory? Did the LXX, for example, exist in codices in his
> time? Did he write his correspondence 'at home'? in prison? In a synagogue?
> where?
>
> Just curious, and grateful for any responses to one or more of the
> questions.
>
> Rick Strelan
>
> Dr Rick Strelan
> Studies in Religion
> University of Queensland
> Brisbane, Australia 4072
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: bsp97jeh AT sheffield.ac.uk

  • texts, Rick Strelan, 09/24/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: texts, J.E.Harding, 09/24/1999